Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Just do it....someone said that somewhere?

Just when you think you’re ready to embark on a new project, or finish an old one, life gets in the way. Kids, grandkids, pets, volunteer requests from every direction. I learned to say “no” years ago, I just forget to do it often enough. But I found a new website and “personal coach” and I may actually try her method. She appears to have the subtle motivation I need. Maybe you do, too? We all need a “buddy” in life sometimes…someone to hold your hand or kick you in the butt, whatever you may need at the time. I think I’m at the kick part right now. I need to get on with life and what I want to do with it. Yes, I write, and have written, memoirs…my memories and local history. I just need to get more of it down. I have the material. But where to start? My new “coach” suggests setting aside “sacred writing time”. That’s what you will find on my calendar today…and every day for the foreseeable future. Now if I can just stick to it. Day One: Sharing the info with you…my readers. Are you really out there? Can I help you jump start a new year, a new you? Isn’t that the cliché everyone lives by in January? I DO NOT make resolutions. But I will admit to applying new focus in a new year onto old habits, new habits, new ideas. It just makes sense at this time of year. So start writing. Is it about you, your family, your parents or your great, great grandparents? It’s family history and you are the only one carrying the stories around right now…until you write them down. Can’t write? Write yourself a letter. Then rewrite the letter whether it’s to yourself, your children or your grandchildren. Just write it down. Worry about the grammar and punctuation next time. You can correct the flow or have someone else look at it for the flow and content. But don’t let them change your story. Changing grammar, punctuation or the order information is presented is just good editing. Changing content is rewriting then maybe it isn’t yours anymore. Keep your stories as your memories or your thought process. Let your sister, or your best friend, write their own stories and the way they remember something. It’s not your story if they are trying to tell you how to write it and what to write. Yes maybe it’s time to set aside your “sacred writing time.” Or maybe you simply need to take time to talk with the relatives you want to write about or their descendants and capture what it is you’re missing. Maybe a draft is in order to put words to paper and see where it takes you. Some people “have to” write. I’m not one of them. I write because I can, not because I feel driven to do it. I write because there are stories to be told, before they are lost.

No comments: